It’s no wonder majestic Conisbrough Castle has become one of the most popular attractions in South Yorkshire.
The lofty 12th century keep of this very well-preserved building, now complete with its restored roof and floors, is a spectacular sight. It had a major role to play in the Wars of the Roses and was once owned by Richard of York.
Conisbrough Castle featured in Sir Walter Scott’s 'Ivanhoe', and with its many reminders of the golden age of knights in armour it makes a great value family day out near Doncaster.
• Fantastic views from the top of the Castle keep
• The interesting staged displays hidden on each floor within the keep
• A visit to the museum and shop
A Snap-shot history of CONISBROUGH CASTLE
The present 13th-century and later stone castle of Conisbrough probably stands on a site first fortified with earthworks by King William's trusted supporter William of Warenne, soon after the Norman Conquest. Warenne's great-grandaughter married Hamelin Plantagenet-an illegitimate son of Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, and thus half-brother of King Henry II-who built the existing castle at some time between 1163 and 1202, probably during the 1180s.
Conisbrough Castle hosted short royal visits from King John in 1201, and Edward II in 1322. From 1347 it became part of the estates of the royal Dukes of York: Richard 'of Conisbrough', Earl of Cambridge, younger son of the first duke, was probably born here, and after his execution for plotting against Henry V in 1415 it was occupied by his widow until her death in 1446. Thereafter however it gradually fell out of use, and by 1538 it was already ruinous and indefensible. Thus it avoided damage during the English Civil War.
| Tel: (01709) 863329
The Visitor Centre, Castle Hill, Conisbrough, Doncaster, DN12 3BU
North East of Conisbrough town centre off A630, 4 miles south-west of Doncaster.
Buses: Stagecoach X78, 220, 221 & 222
Conisbrough Station is 1/2 a mile away, trains run from surrounding areas and connect to the Main-Line rail stations of Doncaster and Sheffield.
Parking is available roughly 200 metres from the visitor centre. The car park is free of charge. There is parking for four coaches off site, and a drop off area located roughly 100 meters from the visitor centre.
Disabled car parking is available next to the visitor centre.
5 November 2012 - 28 March 2013
Saturday 10:00 - 16:00
Sunday 10:00 - 16:00
Open Mon-Fri all year for schools
Please note: the Castle is closed 24 - 26 December and 1 January
Members (Join now) Free
Child (5-15 years) £2.80
Family (2 adults, 3 children) £12.00
Free entry into the castle
There is a Visitor Centre with a gift shop, displays and information. Various events are held throughout the summer and further details can be found on the website.
Medieval costumes are available for children and adults to hire during their visit.
Refreshments are available in the Tea Rooms which are located in The Lodge within the Castle grounds.