Doncaster's elegant Mansion House, a focus for civic pride, has dominated the High Street for over two hundred and fifty years. There are only three Civic Mansion Houses in Britain today, the others being York and London. When the Mansion House was officially opened in April 1749, the total build cost was £8,000 equivalent to around £10 million today. In the 18th century, Doncaster was a very wealthy town, well able to afford these costs. It was built in the Palladian style and was designed by the architect James Paine.
The town's wealth had been created by the stagecoach trade which had made Doncaster a major interchange and overnight stop. Many of the older inns and pubs still have 'coaching arches' as a result of participating in that trade. The Salutation Arms on South Parade and the Crown Hotel at Bawtry are notable examples.
The Mansion House contains fine examples of memorabilia that has been collected over the years.
The Mansion House is open to all visitors once a year when the Civic Mayor holds an open day in the summer and there are special events, including a carol concert, held during the year. Private group visits to The Mansion House can be arranged on a limited number of days through the Mansion House Manager.
The Mansion House now host monthly afternoon Teas, bookings must be made in advance for these events.
Please contact 01302 734309 to book.
The Mansion House also host regular Tea Dances and monthly open days.
Please contact 01302 734032 to book.
Mansion House Manager or the Facilities Management Office
Tel: 01302 734032 or 01302 737600
The Mansion House, High Street, Doncaster, DN1 1BN
The Mansion House can be visited by groups. Visits can be arranged by contacting the Mansion House on 01302 734032 or 01302 737600.